Student Union Government (SUG) Constitution Preamble
We, the entire regular students of Taraba State College of Health Technology, Takum, having firmly and solemnly resolved; to evolve an effective and responsible student governing body; and to encourage a healthy Student-Staff-Administration relationship, to ensure the welfare of students and their full participation in Student Union Government, and to stimulate growth among students towards progressive citizenship; do hereby make, enact and give to ourselves the following constitution:
This constitution shall be known as, and called the constitution of the Students Union, Taraba State College of Health Technology, Takum hereinafter referred to as “the Constitution”
2. a. Establishment
The organization established by the constitution shall be known and addressed as the” Student’s Union Government” of the Taraba State College of Health Technology, Takum (which shall hereinafter be referred to as “the Student Union”).
2. b. Motto
The motto of the Union shall be: “Stable and Dependable Health Status for the Nation”.
3. Supremacy of the Constitution
(a) This constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on all functionaries, bodies and members of the union.
(b) If any other law, decision and/or action of a functionary/functionaries body/bodies or members of the Union is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution, the constitution shall prevail and such other law(s), decision(s) and/or action(s) shall, to the extent of its/their inconsistencies, be void.
4. Fundamental Aims and Objectives
The fundamental aims and objectives of the union shall be:
– To respect, and obey the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and the rules and regulations of the Taraba State College of Health Technology, Takum.
– To enable an effective, virile and responsible student’s Union
– To establish effective communication between the Students Union and the College Administration so that the rights, liberties privilege and obligations of members of the union are maintained and protected.
– To extol and employ dialogue as a means of solving problems within the Union and between the Union and the College Administration.
– To create a veritable forum for the intellectual, physical and moral development, social and cultural uplifting of the members.
– To maintain and advance cordial and fruitful relationship amongst all its members, irrespective of country, state of origin sex, religion and/or political belief;
– To maintain and protect the constitution of the union
– To ensure the non-existence of secret cults and other illegal organization on the campus.
– To condemn and oppose any type of discrimination, injustice, oppression and victimization of human beings through. Constitutional means; and
– To apply itself to the solution of problems of the poor, the handicapped and destitute in the community.
– To render financial and material assistance to its members when the need arises.
– To stimulate and develop leadership skills and qualities in its members.
– To promote unity, the spirit of cooperation and mutual understanding amongst its members.
– To inculcate in its members the spirit of healthy competition in attaining political responsibility and leadership portfolios.
– To create the spirit of positive strive towards excellence in academic, political spheres and social pursuits.
– To promote and maintain cooperation with other institutions of higher learning.
– To protect the legitimate interest of its members through the promotion of intellectual, social, moral, cultural activities on campus.
– To foster unity and harmony among students and staff of the college.
– To serve as a channel of communication and link between students, staff and the college authority on matters of mutual interest.
5. Ordinary Membership
1. Ordinary membership of the Union shall be compulsory and open to every newly admitted, registered and matriculated regular student of the College, upon the payment of the registration fees. The payment shall be as follow:
|| Registration on Admission
|| Constitution Fee
|| Annual Dues
2. It takes effect from the official date of the commencement of his or her course and terminates on completion or on withdrawal of the student from the College.
3. A copy of the Union constitution shall be given to all the newly admitted students immediately on registration.
4. There shall be no refund of any payments made to the Union on termination of membership.
5. The Dean of Student Affairs in conjunction with the President, Financial Secretary, and Treasurer are to handle the account and financial transactions of the Union and all monies collected by them for and on behalf of the Union.
5 Students’ Union receipts shall be issued for all revenue collected for and on behalf of the Union.
6. The Executive Council shall show the Union and College authority evidence of the things done with the development dues granted unto them at the end of its regime.
6. Honorary Membership
1. Honorary membership of the Union shall be conferred on individuals within and outside the College.
2. The recipient of the honorary membership shall be nominated by the Senate President in consultation with the Dean of Students Affairs and appointed on a simple majority of the members of Senate present at voting in a meeting.
3. A maximum of five (5) honorary memberships shall be conferred in the life span of any Union Government,
7. Life Membership
1. Life membership shall be open to all ex -officers of the Union
2. Any past alumnus/alumna shall be conferred a life membership if nominated by the Alumni Relations office and appointed by a simple majority of members of Senate present at voting.
3. Any person conferred with such life membership shall be required to assist the Union financially.
8. Grand Patron and Patron
1. There shall be a Grand Patron and a Patron as the Union deem it fit.
2. The Provost shall be the Grand Patron of the Union.
3. There shall be (1) Patron in the life span of any Union Government.
4. The Patron shall be appointed on the advice of the Dean of Students’ Affairs and approved by a simple majority of members of the Senate present at voting.
5. The appointment of a Patron shall be communicated to the Grand Patron.
Subject to the other provision of this constitution, every member shall:
1. Be entitled to the use and enjoyment of every facility and equipment of the Union without discrimination;
2. Be entitled to participate in all meetings and functions organized by the Union
3. Be entitled to vote and be voted for.
4. Upon death, every deceased member shall be entitled to
(i) Publication of his/her obituary within the College;
(ii) A delegation of at least twenty (20) students to witness the funeral;
5. Where sub-section nine (9) (d) (ii) above is impossible, such delegation shall pay a condolence visit to the family;
7. The Union shall attend such burial/condolence with the sum of Five Thousand Naira (N5, 000.00) only to be given to the next of kin of the deceased.
Every member shall:
– Respect and protect the constitution;
– Actively participate in occasions and functions organized and/or recognized by the Union;
– Pay his/her due and levies to the Union promptly;
– Perform any other duty that may be assigned to him/her from time to time according to the provision of this constitution for the welfare and progress of the union.
There shall be Students’ Union Government (SUG), which shall consist of the following:
– The Legislature, which shall consist of:
(i) The Senate
(ii) The Union House of Representative.
– The Executive, which shall consist of: the Union Executive Council.
– The Judiciary, which shall consist of:
(i) The Judicial Council;
(ii) The court of Appeal
– Legal Adviser
– Hall Government
– Students Congress
– Joint Consultative Council (JCC).
There shall be an Executive Council for the Union.
The Executive Council (EXCO) shall be composed of thirteen (13) elected members of the Union as follow:
1. The President.
2. The Vice President.
3. The Secretary General.
4. The Assistant Secretary General.
5. The Financial Secretary.
6. The Treasurer.
8. Welfare Officer.
9. The Public Relations Officer (PRO).
10. The Director of Transport.
11. The Director of Health.
12. The Director of Socials.
13. The Director of Games. Read More